Help to Buy Scotland was introduced in 2013 by the government with the aims of helping young people to purchase a home.

The scheme is currently open to both first-time buyers and current homeowners.

The way it works is you purchase at least 85% of the property and the government fund the other 15% under a shared equity agreement. With a minimum of a 5% deposit, plus the 15% shared equity from the government you only need an 80% mortgage. This makes it much easier for lenders to approve you.

Frequently asked questions

 

Help to Buy Scotland is a scheme aimed at helping Scottish residents to purchase a new home.

Buyers need to have saved for at least a 5% deposit and the the government provide an additional 15% under a shared equity agreement.

This makes it much easier to be approved for a mortgage.

There are a few differences, the main one being that each one is available in their respective countries.

The amount provided by the government is up to 15% in Scotland and 20% in England (or 40% in London). Also, the maximum house price that can be used with Help to Buy Scotland is £200,000, whereas in England it's £600,000.

Help to Buy Scotland is open to both first-time buyers and current homeowners. You will eligible for it so long as:

  • The property you wish to buy does not exceed £200,000
  • The property is a new build home
  • You have at least a 5% deposit
  • You can afford the mortgage repayments
  • You don't own another property (aside from the one you're selling)

Absolutely. Under this scheme, you will have complete title to your home and your name will be on the title deeds.

No, Help to Buy Scotland can only be used for a single property.

Help to Buy Scotland only applies to brand new properties up to £200,000 in Scotland.

Many of our Scottish developments offer Help to Buy and our sales teams are more than happy to talk you through it in more detail. Explore our developments and speak to them directly.

You may also like to refer to the Government's website for more information on Help to Buy Scotland. 

explore our full range of buying options

Buying options

Find a home

With ZeroC, you can be sure of the right home in the right place. From Inverness to Truro, we have a wide range of high quality, bespoke developments.

We lead the way in delivering outstanding homes that respect the environment, while remaining inexpensive to live in.