Resolutions are hard to keep and, with January nearly gone, we’re here to help maintain your momentum with your 2020 intentions!
Maybe you’ve decided to take more local walks around Poundbury’s Great Field? Perhaps you’re inspired to grow your own within the Poundbury community orchard? Or even embraced the likes of Veganuary and Dry January …
Whatever your January intentions, here we’ve found three delicious and healthy recipes to kick start your 2020 with some tasty dishes for all the family to try; best of all, they can be prepared with ingredients from our local Poundbury Waitrose.
Oh… and read on for a special Waitrose competition too – where you could win a voucher for the local store.
This scrumptious dish is the perfect choice to warm up the family on a cold and dark January evening. It’s a great meal to fill up on and for those who like an extra kick – just add more red chillies! Not only is this recipe vegetarian, it’s low in fat too so a fabulous healthy option in line with those 2020 health goals.
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serve with Waitrose Duchy Organic Basmati rice:
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 400g can Waitrose Chopped Tomatoes With Olive Oil & Chopped Garlic
• 200 ml hot vegetable stock
• 410g can Waitrose Red Kidney Beans In Chilli Sauce
• 50g green beans, trimmed and halved
• 1 courgette, cut into chunks
• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
• 1 onion, sliced
• 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
• 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened, then add the peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chilli powder and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the carrot and sweet potatoes, then add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Add the courgette and kidney beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Finally, add the green beans and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender, but with a little bite.
For those not partaking in Dry January, this dish goes nicely with a glass of Montgras Reserva Carmenere Colchagua Valley from Chile. It’s vegetarian too! https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/montgras-reserva-carmenere-colchagua-valley-chile/023993-11630-11631
For those refraining from alcohol, why not pair with a delicious glass of alcohol free red wine – suitable for both vegans and vegetarians: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/torres-natureo-de-alcoholised-red-spanish-red-wine/859418-343688-343689
For those cutting back on red meat as part of their 2020 diet change, this tasty chicken dish will certainly hit the spot – and the chickpeas and couscous are delicious additions, offering numerous health benefits and wonderful texture to the meal.
Once again, a quick and easy meal to prepare and can be fabulously served with Waitrose Duchy Organic Wholemeal Bloomer for those who like to ensure no tasty juices go to waste!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large casserole or ovenproof frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes to soften, then add the harissa paste and fry for another minute. Stir in the tomatoes, then arrange the chicken, skin-side up, on top. Season and transfer to the oven for 35 minutes. Ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly so the juices run clear and there is no pink meat.
2. Meanwhile, put the couscous in a mixing bowl with 300ml just-boiled water and cover the bowl. Toss the chickpeas with 1 tbsp oil and the cumin in a roasting tin. Add to the oven for the final 15 minutes of roasting.
3. To serve, uncover the couscous and fluff up with a fork. Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp oil, lemon zest and juice and herbs. Serve with the chickpeas, chicken and harissa sauce.
This dish is perfectly paired with a nice chilled glass of Champteloup Sauvignon Blanc https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/champteloup-sauvignon-blanc/015875-7593-7594, or why not replace with a non-alcoholic glass of Sauvignon here: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/eisberg-sauvignon-blanc/854157-464730-464731
All things in moderation … so here’s a yummy recipe for a dessert that not only includes 1 of your 5 a day but is topped with fibre packed hazelnuts and a little chocolate treat!
1. Halve and stone the peaches or nectarines and brush lightly with the melted butter. Cook the fruit halves in a hot griddle pan for 5 minutes on each side until softened and golden.
2. Divide among small serving plates and scatter over the hazelnuts and plain chocolate. Eat while warm. Serves 4 as a dessert.
And now for competition time, a great way to start your 2020 new recipes plan!
All you have to do is answer this question to be in with a chance of winning £50 in Waitrose vouchers.
Question: The square in Poundbury is named after which famous member of the royal family?
Email your answer, full name and phone number to: Janet.Gay@placesforpeople.co.uk
The winner will be chosen at random before the 29th February 2020.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OUR FANTASTIC PROPERTIES AT Monaveen House, POUNDBURY?
Would you like to know more about our fantastic properties at Monaveen House? Call on 01305 251277, come and visit us at our marketing suite or leave your details below and we'll call you back.
ZeroC at Poundbury
1A Liscombe Street,
Telephone: 01305 251277
Visit our sales and marketing suite:
Monday: 10am to 5pm
Tuesday: 10am to 5pm
Wednesday: 10am to 5pm
Thursday: 10am to 5pm
Friday: 10am to 5pm
Saturday: 10am to 5pm
Sunday: 10am to 5pm